Welcome to Year 1
Year 1 staff
- Class 4 teacher – Mrs Goode
- Class 5 teachers – Mrs Dore and Mrs Brown
- Class 6 teacher – Mr Cox and Mrs Dunnell
- Mrs Jervis - Higher Level Teaching Assistant
- Mrs Smith - Higher Level Teaching Assistant
- Mrs Shafe – Teaching Assistant
Year 1 has three classes with a maximum of 90 children in the year group. In the autumn term year 1 follows a curriculum very similar to reception’s to allow the children time to get used to different classes. Their learning will be partly based on a planned play environment which gradually moves to more instances of “formal” lessons.
The year 1 children have three big topics a year, each covering two terms. The Autumn term topic is called Whizz, Woosh, Zoom. The Spring term topic is called Fairytales and castles. The Summer term topic is called Explorers.
We believe in creating exciting and stimulating learning experiences for the children and often start topics with a “wow” day and end with a year group event. We also use drama regularly to engage the children in their learning
This is what parents have said about a recent exhibition of the children’s work;
“Lovely to see the children’s hard work, a fantastic effort by all the children.”
“They have all worked so hard, thank you to the teachers.”
“I am very pleased with how my daughter is doing at school, thank you.”
Autumn Update for Year 1
This term we have loved our space topic. The highlight was definitely visiting the National Space Centre in Leicester! We have learnt all about Neil Armstrong, Tim Peake and Yuri Gagarin, made clay model aliens and explored different materials and their properties. In Maths we have been learning about place value, addition and subtraction, and number bonds. In English we’ve enjoyed listening to space and alien stories, practised writing sentences, and learnt how to write instructions.
We all worked incredibly hard to put on an amazing Christmas show called ‘The Christmas Recipe’ and loved performing it to our families. Finally, we all enjoyed a trip to the Derngate theatre to see the show, ‘Pippi Longstocking’. We had a great time and thought it was brilliant!
Next term our topic will be changing to ‘Fairytales and Castles’. We will be sending out more information about this in the New Year.
Year 1 Posts
Year 1 Newsletters
- Mon, 28 Sep 2020 : Class 6 Parents Evening
- Mon, 28 Sep 2020 : Class 5 Parents Evening
- Mon, 28 Sep 2020 : Class 4 Parents Evening
- Wed, 23 Sep 2020 : Floppy's Phonics
- Mon, 21 Sep 2020 : Year 1 Topic Letter - Autumn
- Mon, 14 Sep 2020 : Flu Immunisation Consent
- Thu, 10 Sep 2020 : The Big Write
- Mon, 07 Sep 2020 : Class 6 Teacher
- Thu, 03 Sep 2020 : P.E Dates
- Tue, 01 Sep 2020 : Back to school information - Reminder
- Fri, 17 Jul 2020 : PE in September
- Tue, 14 Jul 2020 : Back to School
- Mon, 06 Jul 2020 : New Year 1 Resources
- Fri, 03 Jul 2020 : Lost property and P.E kits
- Tue, 30 Jun 2020 : New Class Information - Class 6