Welcome to Year 1
Year 1 Team:
- Class 4 Teacher – Mrs Goode
- Class 5 Teacher – Mrs Brown
- Class 6 Teachers – Mr Dore and Mrs Clarke
- Mrs Smith - Higher Level Teaching Assistant
- Mrs Russell - Teaching Assistant
- Mrs Shafe – Teaching Assistant
- Mrs Walton - Teaching Assistant / Lunchtime Supervisor
Year 1 has three classes with a maximum of 90 children in the year group. In the autumn term year 1 follows a curriculum very similar to reception’s to allow the children time to get used to different classes. Their learning will be partly based on a planned play environment which gradually moves to more instances of “formal” lessons.
The year 1 children have three big topics a year, each covering two terms. The Autumn term topic is called Awesome Authors. The Spring term topic is called Out of this World. The Summer term topic is called Our Wonderful World.
We believe in creating exciting and stimulating learning experiences for the children and often start topics with a “wow” day and end with a year group event. We also use drama regularly to engage the children in their learning
This is what parents have said about a recent exhibition of the children’s work;
“Lovely to see the children’s hard work, a fantastic effort by all the children.”
“They have all worked so hard, thank you to the teachers.”
“I am very pleased with how my daughter is doing at school, thank you."
Spring term 2022 in Year 1
The children in Year One have been learning about space travel this term. They were interested in the life of Neil Armstrong and enjoyed learning about the moon landing. The children have been learning a song about the planets in the solar system as well as exploring non-fiction books to discover interesting facts about space. The children have studied the artist Andy Warhol and have replicated his work by developing their own printing skills. The children were thrilled with the artwork they produced, their achievements are now displayed in our year 1 area.
Space Day was a great success, the children looked fantastic in their space inspired outfits. All of the children went on Space missions around the Year 1 area. In class 4 the children were tasked with designing and making a clay alien. In class 5 the children were faced with a baking mission; they had to make rock cakes and decorate a biscuit like a planet. In class 6 they had to make a rocket using junk modelling. Throughout the day the children also took part in many space themed activities and had a wonderful memorable day.
Year 1 Newsletters
- Tue, 17 May 2022 : Covid letter from NNC
- Mon, 16 May 2022 : Year 1 Summer Topic Letter
- Wed, 04 May 2022 : Government White Paper - Class 6
- Wed, 04 May 2022 : Government White Paper - Class 5
- Wed, 04 May 2022 : Government White Paper - Class 4
- Tue, 26 Apr 2022 : Year 1 Visit to Stanwick Lakes
- Fri, 22 Apr 2022 : Mayors Market Singing
- Thu, 21 Apr 2022 : Year 1 Phonics Homework
- Thu, 31 Mar 2022 : PE Dates April - July
- Mon, 28 Feb 2022 : Year 1 Phonics Screening
- Mon, 07 Feb 2022 : Reading Royalty
- Thu, 06 Jan 2022 : Year 1 Spring Topic