Welcome to Year 1
Year 1 staff
- Class 4 teacher – Mrs Goode
- Class 5 teachers – Mrs Dore and Mrs Brown
- Class 6 teacher – Mr Cox
- Mrs Jervis - Higher Level Teaching Assistant
- Mrs Smith - Higher Level Teaching Assistant
- Mrs Shafe – Teaching Assistant
Year 1 has three classes with a maximum of 90 children in the year group. In the autumn term year 1 follows a curriculum very similar to reception’s to allow the children time to get used to different classes. Their learning will be partly based on a planned play environment which gradually moves to more instances of “formal” lessons.
The year 1 children have three big topics a year, each covering two terms. The Autumn term topic is called Whizz, Woosh, Zoom. The Spring term topic is called Fairytales and castles. The Summer term topic is called Explorers.
We believe in creating exciting and stimulating learning experiences for the children and often start topics with a “wow” day and end with a year group event. We also use drama regularly to engage the children in their learning
This is what parents have said about a recent exhibition of the children’s work;
“Lovely to see the children’s hard work, a fantastic effort by all the children.”
“They have all worked so hard, thank you to the teachers.”
“I am very pleased with how my daughter is doing at school, thank you.”
Year 1 May Update
Year 1 Update
We have had a fantastic time learning about Fairytales. We have studied the stories Jack and the Beanstalk, and Beauty and the Beast. The children have enjoyed role playing the stories and making life size models of the Beast and the Giant. We even had the Giant virtually visit the year 1 area – he made such a mess. The children enjoyed investigating whom the culprit was.
We had fun on World Book Day. The children came dressed as their favourite book character. It was a great effort by all.
We have also gone back in time to the Victorian Era. The children came to school in Victorian attire and spent the day in a life of a Victorian child. They used slate and chalk to record arithmetic. They sat in rows in silence and had to stand when the teacher entered the classroom. The children concluded they much prefer school today rather than in the past.
The children excelled in their homework project. They brought in their magnificent castle creations. We enjoyed touring the classrooms peer assessing the castles. The children were encouraged to write positive comments on post-it notes and stick them to their favourite castle. The comments raised many smiles and added to the pride the children had in their work.
Year 1 Posts
Year 1 Newsletters
- Tue, 12 Nov 2019 : Friends Winter Disco
- Fri, 08 Nov 2019 : National Space Centre
- Fri, 08 Nov 2019 : Class 6
- Fri, 25 Oct 2019 : Year 1 Reading
- Fri, 11 Oct 2019 : School Council Elections
- Fri, 11 Oct 2019 : Parents Evenings - Year 1 only
- Fri, 11 Oct 2019 : Parents Evenings - Class 6
- Thu, 10 Oct 2019 : The Big Write
- Wed, 09 Oct 2019 : Parents Evenings
- Mon, 07 Oct 2019 : Higham Ferrers Christmas Sparkle
- Thu, 26 Sep 2019 : Harvest Celebration
- Mon, 23 Sep 2019 : Wellbeing Assembly
- Thu, 19 Sep 2019 : Pippi Longstocking
- Fri, 13 Sep 2019 : Year 1 Autumn Topic Letter
- Wed, 04 Sep 2019 : Freestyle Clubs