Welcome to Year 1
Year 1 staff
- Class 4 teacher – Mrs Goode
- Class 5 teachers – Mrs Dore and Mrs Brown
- Class 6 teacher – Miss Westall
- Mrs Jervis - Higher Level Teaching Assistant
- Mrs Smith - Higher Level Teaching Assistant
- Mrs Gorst – Teaching Assistant
Year 1 has three classes with a maximum of 90 children in the year group. In the autumn term year 1 follows a curriculum very similar to reception’s to allow the children time to get used to different classes. Their learning will be partly based on a planned play environment which gradually moves to more instances of “formal” lessons.
The year 1 children have three big topics a year, each covering two terms. The Autumn term topic is called Whizz, Woosh, Zoom. The Spring term topic is called Fairytales and castles. The Summer term topic is called Explorers.
We believe in creating exciting and stimulating learning experiences for the children and often start topics with a “wow” day and end with a year group event. We also use drama regularly to engage the children in their learning
This is what parents have said about a recent exhibition of the children’s work;
“Lovely to see the children’s hard work, a fantastic effort by all the children.”
“They have all worked so hard, thank you to the teachers.”
“I am very pleased with how my daughter is doing at school, thank you.”
Year 1 May Update
Year 1 had an exciting spring term learning about fairy tales and castles. We explored the stories of Beauty and the Beast and Jack and the beanstalk. We explored their worlds through the element of drama. The woods around the beast’s castle were quite dark and scary but the village was very happy and colourful.
We then discovered all about the reign of Queen Victoria, ending up writing fact files which were on display in our grand exhibition in the hall. Did you know that young boys were sent up inside chimneys to clean them? They got very dirty and some fell and hurt themselves. We decided that we would not like to be a chimney sweep long ago.
We ended our topic with a fantastic trip to Holdenby house where we were all servants for the day, our mums and dads and teachers were servants too! While there we were there we went into the kitchens and helped do some cooking. Then we went into the maids bedroom and helped to dust and make the bed, not forgetting to empty the bed pan that went under the bed at night. After that we went into the saddle room where we polished the brass and cleaned the horse saddles. Finally we went into the great hall and were taught how to walk straight and tall by having books placed on our heads, then how to curtsy and bow. We ended the day with a visit from the lady of the manor. We had to sing her a song and show her what we had learnt. We all came back to school very tired but happy.
Year 1 Posts
Year 1 Newsletters
- Thu, 15 Nov 2018 : Year 1 Church visit
- Wed, 14 Nov 2018 : Christmas Productions
- Wed, 17 Oct 2018 : Sarah Mills Remembrance Cup
- Mon, 15 Oct 2018 : Lovefood Menu
- Wed, 10 Oct 2018 : Love Food Letter
- Mon, 08 Oct 2018 : Year 1 Autumn Topic Letter
- Fri, 21 Sep 2018 : Spellings
- Wed, 12 Sep 2018 : Year 1 PE
- Wed, 12 Sep 2018 : Year 1 Planetarium
- Tue, 11 Sep 2018 : School Council Elections
- Wed, 05 Sep 2018 : Year 1 - Alien Wow Day