Welcome to Year 1
Year 1 Team:
- Class 4 Teacher – Mrs Goode
- Class 5 Teacher – Mrs Brown
- Class 6 Teachers – Mr Dore and Mrs Dunnell
- Mrs Jervis - Higher Level Teaching Assistant
- Mrs Smith - Higher Level Teaching Assistant
- Mrs Shafe – Teaching Assistant
- Mrs Walton - Teaching Assistant
- Mrs Wheatley - Teaching Assistant
Year 1 has three classes with a maximum of 90 children in the year group. In the autumn term year 1 follows a curriculum very similar to reception’s to allow the children time to get used to different classes. Their learning will be partly based on a planned play environment which gradually moves to more instances of “formal” lessons.
The year 1 children have three big topics a year, each covering two terms. The Autumn term topic is called Awesome Authors. The Spring term topic is called Out of this World. The Summer term topic is called Our Wonderful World.
We believe in creating exciting and stimulating learning experiences for the children and often start topics with a “wow” day and end with a year group event. We also use drama regularly to engage the children in their learning
This is what parents have said about a recent exhibition of the children’s work;
“Lovely to see the children’s hard work, a fantastic effort by all the children.”
“They have all worked so hard, thank you to the teachers.”
“I am very pleased with how my daughter is doing at school, thank you."
Look what we have been doing!
We had a brilliant sports day!
Year one Blog - Spring Term 2021!
Well, what a strange start to 2021 it has been but we have all been so impressed with the children’s positivity, resilience and keenness to learn. We have spent lots of time working on the well-being of everyone and have enjoyed circle times, games, special stories and zoom calls.
Our theme has been centred on Space and we have been learning about the planets, space travel, Neil Armstrong and Laika, the dog. We have written descriptions of story settings, postcards from space, letters, posters, and we have looked at the features of non-fiction books.
In Maths we have been learning about different shapes, place value of numbers within 20 and addition and subtraction of numbers to 20. We’ve also learnt about different materials in Science, and have explored the artistic style of Andy Warhol in out Art lessons.
One of our big focuses for the next term is to work on the development of the children’s kinetic letters.
Thank you for all the emails and work being sent from home and your support this term.
Year 1 Newsletters
- Fri, 22 Oct 2021 : Year 1 Pocket Park Walk
- Fri, 22 Oct 2021 : ENewsletter 22/10/21
- Fri, 22 Oct 2021 : Letter from Department of Public Health
- Thu, 21 Oct 2021 : Friends Halloween/Autumn Mufti Day
- Thu, 21 Oct 2021 : Poppy Appeal
- Wed, 20 Oct 2021 : Love Food New Ordering System
- Wed, 20 Oct 2021 : Christmas card fundraiser - Deadline Today
- Tue, 19 Oct 2021 : New Love Food Ordering System
- Tue, 19 Oct 2021 : Class 4 Parents Evening
- Tue, 19 Oct 2021 : Children in Need
- Mon, 18 Oct 2021 : New School Meal menu and ordering system
- Mon, 18 Oct 2021 : Year 1 Harvest
- Fri, 15 Oct 2021 : ENewsletter 15/10/21
- Wed, 13 Oct 2021 : Year 1 Wow Day
- Tue, 12 Oct 2021 : Parents Evening Reminders