Welcome to Year 1
Year 1 Team:
- Class 4 Teacher – Miss Fairbairn
- Class 5 Teacher – Mrs Dunnell and Mrs Brown (Year Group Leader)
- Class 6 Teachers – Mrs Russell and Mrs Clarke
- Ms Jervis - Higher Level Teaching Assistant
- Mrs Shafe – Teaching Assistant / Lunchtime Supervisor
- Ms Hemmings - Teaching Assistant
- Miss Lewis - Teaching Assistant
- Mrs Nichols - Teaching Assistant
Year 1 has three classes with a maximum of 90 children in the year group. In the autumn term year 1 follows a curriculum very similar to reception’s to allow the children time to get used to different classes. Their learning will be partly based on a planned play environment which gradually moves to more instances of “formal” lessons.
The year 1 children have three big topics a year, each covering two terms. The Autumn term topic is called Awesome Authors. The Spring term topic is called Out of this World. The Summer term topic is called Our Wonderful World.
We believe in creating exciting and stimulating learning experiences for the children and often start topics with a “wow” day and end with a year group event. We also use drama regularly to engage the children in their learning
This is what parents have said about a recent exhibition of the children’s work;
“Lovely to see the children’s hard work, a fantastic effort by all the children.”
“They have all worked so hard, thank you to the teachers.”
“I am very pleased with how my daughter is doing at school, thank you."
Summer Term in Year 1!!!
The children have all enjoyed our topic ‘Our Wonderful World’ they have spent time exploring contrasting localities using the work of Michael Bond – Paddington Bear. The children can name lots of London Landmarks and can talk about how the city is different to the rainforest in Peru.
We had a fabulous adventure to Stanwick Lakes, the children went on a bug hunt, they even found a shrew and a toad. They spent time gathering natural objects and created some land art inspired by the artist Andy Goldsworthy.
This term all of the children demonstrated their incredible phonic knowledge during phonics screening week, and we are so proud of all of the children.
It has been a wonderful year in Year 1, the children are hardworking, resilient and ready for future learning in Year 2.
Year 1 Newsletters
- Thu, 30 Nov 2023 : HFNIS Writing Advent Challenge
- Mon, 27 Nov 2023 : Cinderella Reminders
- Tue, 21 Nov 2023 : Class 4
- Tue, 14 Nov 2023 : Year 1 Walk to Pocket Park - Reminder
- Wed, 08 Nov 2023 : Higham Ferrers Christmas Sparkle - Waiting list
- Wed, 08 Nov 2023 : Flu Vaccination - Reminder
- Wed, 08 Nov 2023 : Year 1 Library Books
- Tue, 21 Nov 2023 : Year 1 Walk to the Church - Reminder
- Thu, 02 Nov 2023 : Christmas Productions
- Thu, 02 Nov 2023 : Year 1 Walk to Pocket Park
- Tue, 31 Oct 2023 : Higham Ferrers Christmas Sparkle
- Mon, 30 Oct 2023 : Year 1 Wow Day Reminder
- Fri, 20 Oct 2023 : Year 1 Work Pack
- Tue, 17 Oct 2023 : Story Time in Year 1 and Year 2
- Mon, 02 Oct 2023 : Cinderella